[ghc-steering-committee] Dealing with abuse on the issue tracker

Sebastian Graf sgraf1337 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 09:16:28 UTC 2024

What I found quite derailing upon reading the very first comment was that
it raises two non-issues:

   1. that the proposal should generalise to more keywords than just `type`
   (it does!)
   2. that the proposed change could somehow make typos valid programs (it
   does not; .type must be surrounded by parens (.type), and such a typo would
   likely trigger a syntax error *even if* -XOverloadedRecordDot was active)

Reading such troll-ish posts (even if the author did not mean to troll)
often triggers a strong urge in me to reply to correct these perceived
misconceptions.
Soon I'm not the only one replying. The troll (by perceived function, not
by self-declaration) keeps on fueling the discussion with ever new
contentious material, at which point the discussion has been successfully
derailed.
Everyone participating in the discussion *feels* like they are helping, but
in reality they are sadly just providing more fuel.

I do not know enough about moderation practices to emphatically suggest a
solution.
Of course it helps if the committee itself does not engage with trolls, but
there are many other people with a GitHub account who might still engage
(and they do!).
In the present case, the proposal author engaged with the troll as well.

That highlights an important issue: *The proposal author is supposed to
defend their proposal against critique, and rebut any which is invalid.*
In other words: *it might seem like it is the job* of the proposal author
to engage with trolls.
(Of course, ultimately only critique from the committee needs addressing,
but I think it's "good practice" to rebut early.)
If I was a proposal author and the troll accepted a rebuttal as an
invitation for more inflammatory discussion that went un-moderated, I would
be upset about the experience.
I think that is what happened here. Curiously, I don't see a direct
violation of any HF Guideline as I interpret them, but to me it feels like
the whole discussion was started by the troll in bad faith.