[ghc-steering-committee] GHC2024 tally

Arnaud Spiwack arnaud.spiwack at tweag.io
Mon Jan 8 17:02:34 UTC 2024

This is such a short list :-/ . At this rate, it'll take about 30 years to
absorb the current mass of extensions GHC. We absolutely need to be more
aggressive there. Either in GHC20XX, or in deprecating extensions. But
we're getting nowhere near getting this hydra under control.

On Fri, 5 Jan 2024 at 12:39, Adam Gundry <adam at well-typed.com> wrote:

> Thanks Joachim! I'm (unsurprisingly) happy with the result, and I agree
> that we should complete the process and go ahead with defining GHC2024
> in time for 9.10, even if #628 leads to a bigger shake-up in the future.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Adam
>

> On 05/01/2024 11:00, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > Dear committee,
> >

> > with all votes in (thanks!), the following extensions made quorum to
> > form GHC2024:
> >
> >      DataKinds
> >      DerivingStrategies
> >      DisambiguateRecordFields
> >      ExplicitNamespaces
> >      GADTs (and the implied MonoLocalBinds)
> >      LambdaCase
> >      RoleAnnotations
> >
> > See the full tally in the proposal:
> >
> https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/blob/joachim/ghc2024/proposals/0000-ghc2024.rst#3tally
> >
> > Any final thoughts?
> >
> > Should we hold off accepting that in light of #628 (I don’t hope so).
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Joachim
>
> --
> Adam Gundry, Haskell Consultant
> Well-Typed LLP, https://www.well-typed.com/
>
> Registered in England & Wales, OC335890
> 27 Old Gloucester Street, London WC1N 3AX, England

Arnaud Spiwack
Director, Research at https://moduscreate.com and https://tweag.io.