[ghc-steering-committee] Proposal #625 Articulate stability goals, recommendation: strong accept

Moritz Angermann moritz.angermann at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 09:09:35 UTC 2024

Hi All,

Pull request 625 (https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/625),
is not
a proposal as usual, but primarily amending the readme and principles.
Simon has
taken the Stability discussion we have had last year, and integrated the
crystalized
General Rules into the readme and principles.

In my opinion, we have now debated this topic sufficiently, and found a
formulation
that captures the intent we want to set forward for the evolution of GHC. I
think this
spells out clear guardrails for GHCs evolution, as well as providing
reassurance to
commercial users of GHC regarding backwards compatibility and migration
support
though deprecation cycles when breakage is needed. As such, I
strongly recommend
acceptance of the proposal.

While there has been a recent spark in discussion of warning flags, I do
not believe
that discussion to be productive towards the change this proposal tries to
bring.

I'd like to ask the committee to cast their final votes on this amendment
to the
readme and principles, by the end of the coming week. Unless someone
objects,
I'll merge this as it is now on the 10th of February.

Best,
  Moritz