[ghc-steering-committee] GHC2024 committee deliberation

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Thu Nov 30 18:30:34 UTC 2023

Hi all,

Am Mittwoch, dem 22.11.2023 um 22:11 +0100 schrieb Joachim Breitner:
> Am Mittwoch, dem 22.11.2023 um 21:25 +0100 schrieb Joachim Breitner:
> > I guess I could at least do a simple poll on discourse with the
> > currently proposed extensions.
>
> Now at https://discourse.haskell.org/t/ghc2024-community-input/8168.
> Not perfect (e.g. number of options on Discourse are limited), but it’s
> something.

after a week, we got 137 people to vote. This is of course not
representative of our full target audience, but still useful input. For
example, I didn’t expect LambdaCase to be that popular (84%). Other
interesting bits:

 * DerivingVia is the most popular extension that we do _not_ have
   on the ballot for 2024, with 62%.
   I think it's reasonable, I woudn’t mind maturing it a for another
   edition cycle or so; there was talk about improving error messages.

 * Lots of discussion about BlockArguments, but mostly along the lines
   of “I use it (in Haskell or other languages), it’s great” vs.
   “It don’t use it, it looks weird to me.”. My hypothesis is that
   it is no harder to get used to than application-by-juxtaposition
   or $ or other keywords, so I’m still in favor.

Anyways, have a look if you are curious, and take it into account in
your voting if I want.

So where do we stand? Does everyone in the committee have the
information they need to cast a vote? Should we just go ahead with
voting, or would some committee members maybe share an assessment of
the currently proposed extensions at
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/blob/joachim/ghc2024/proposals/0000-ghc2024.rst
to help people decide?

  mail at joachim-breitner.de