[ghc-steering-committee] GHC2024 committee deliberation

Arnaud Spiwack arnaud.spiwack at tweag.io
Mon Nov 6 14:20:47 UTC 2023

I've just pushed a bunch of extra proposed extensions (then I saw that you
changed the label, and then I went and found your email). It's already more
than 6. In the thread, there's also a proposal for BlockArgument that has
yet to be added to the proposal.

maybe you’ll agree that
> if we want a predictable and reasonable frequent stream of language
> editions, we have to avoid such delays when feasible.

I, for one, favour a regular cadence, too.

On Mon, 6 Nov 2023 at 10:10, Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de>
wrote:

> Dear Committee,
>
> I’d like to get the committe involvement in GHC2024 started. The
> current proposal is at
> https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/613
>
> https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/blob/joachim/ghc2024/proposals/0000-ghc2024.rst
>
> At the moment, six changes relative to CHC2021 are proposed by
> committee and by community members. See the proposal for rationales.
>
> My goal is to have a decision in time for 9.10. I suggest we use
> November to deliberate the proposals and maybe add more changes to the
> list, and then vote in early December. We’ll put each change separately
> on the ballot.
>

> I know that there are ongoing discussions that could arguably affect
> how we want the next GHC20xx to look like, in particular the just
> opened #620, and I anticipate a desire to postpone GHC2024 until that
> has been decided. But I recall that we postponed GHC2023 for (among
> other reasons) for the same reason, and I wouldn’t be surprised that if
> in a year we have yet another unresolved question that seems worth
> waiting for. If this pattern reminds you of the GHC release process
> before we introduced the regular cadence, then maybe you’ll agree that
> if we want a predictable and reasonable frequent stream of language
> editions, we have to avoid such delays when feasible.
>

> So please let us know what you think of the proposed changes, what
> other changes you want to see, or if you have qualms about the process.

>   mail at joachim-breitner.de
>   http://www.joachim-breitner.de/

Arnaud Spiwack
Director, Research at https://moduscreate.com and https://tweag.io.