[ghc-steering-committee] GHC2024 committee deliberation

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Mon Nov 6 09:10:21 UTC 2023

Dear Committee,

I’d like to get the committe involvement in GHC2024 started. The
current proposal is at
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/613
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/blob/joachim/ghc2024/proposals/0000-ghc2024.rst

At the moment, six changes relative to CHC2021 are proposed by
committee and by community members. See the proposal for rationales.

My goal is to have a decision in time for 9.10. I suggest we use
November to deliberate the proposals and maybe add more changes to the
list, and then vote in early December. We’ll put each change separately
on the ballot.

I know that there are ongoing discussions that could arguably affect
how we want the next GHC20xx to look like, in particular the just
opened #620, and I anticipate a desire to postpone GHC2024 until that
has been decided. But I recall that we postponed GHC2023 for (among
other reasons) for the same reason, and I wouldn’t be surprised that if
in a year we have yet another unresolved question that seems worth
waiting for. If this pattern reminds you of the GHC release process
before we introduced the regular cadence, then maybe you’ll agree that
if we want a predictable and reasonable frequent stream of language
editions, we have to avoid such delays when feasible.

So please let us know what you think of the proposed changes, what
other changes you want to see, or if you have qualms about the process.

  mail at joachim-breitner.de