[ghc-steering-committee] #536: Type-level literals as a separate language extension, rec: accept

Simon Peyton Jones simon.peytonjones at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 10:57:04 UTC 2023

> Unless I am missing the point, I can’t really make an informed decision
> before we have concluded our policy discussion, in particular, on
> whether we want to go towards a future where everyone is welcome to
> turn extensions on and off to build their little fine-grained preferred
> language islands, or whether that is something we want to avoid and use
> extensions only as stepping stones towards a ((eventually) single)
> future Haskell, at the cost of having to tell some people that they
> can’t expect that every possible dialect of Haskell will be supported.

I don't think these two are incompatible.  Even if we have a "single future
Haskell" in mind, it's fair enough for people to switch things on and off
if they want.   Offering flexiblity at low cost seems OK to me; other
things being equal, it's not for us to say what they should or should not
want.  (If the implementation or maintenance cost was high I might think
again, but I don't think it is in this case.)

Simon