[ghc-steering-committee] #536: Type-level literals as a separate language extension, rec: accept

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Mon Mar 6 16:58:29 UTC 2023

Hi,

Am Montag, dem 06.03.2023 um 16:04 +0300 schrieb Vladislav Zavialov:
> Does anyone have objections? If not, I will mark the proposal
> accepted in 2 weeks.

not a full fledged objection yet, but I am unsure how that fits with
the overall direction we have for namespaces, as outlined in
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/blob/master/proposals/0378-dependent-type-design.rst

It this meant to be a short-gap measure that helps us to get to towards
a bolder destination?

Or is it a half-way step for people who like type-level computation,
but don’t want to go all the way, and is expected to stay around?

(Or maybe I am missing the point.)

Unless I am missing the point, I can’t really make an informed decision
before we have concluded our policy discussion, in particular, on
whether we want to go towards a future where everyone is welcome to
turn extensions on and off to build their little fine-grained preferred
language islands, or whether that is something we want to avoid and use
extensions only as stepping stones towards a ((eventually) single)
future Haskell, at the cost of having to tell some people that they
can’t expect that every possible dialect of Haskell will be supported.

  mail at joachim-breitner.de