[ghc-steering-committee] Modifiers and #512: NoFieldSelectors

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Mon Dec 11 21:01:58 UTC 2023

Hi,

thanks for picking this up.

My initial thought after

Am Montag, dem 11.12.2023 um 13:39 +0100 schrieb Vladislav Zavialov:
> 2. The Modifiers proposal is, however, unimplemented

was that if nothing has moved here since a year (last thread was Dec
2022), then maybe it’s better to not hold NoFieldSelectors hostage, and
would have voted “Accept the proposal with pragma-based syntax, then
deprecate it and switch to modifiers-based syntax” (with an implicit “…
when and if modifiers becomes reality”).

But given

> Before you vote, let me try to sway you towards the "revise" option.
> If we choose to revise, I volunteer to implement Modifiers in time
> for GHC 9.12. I believe Modifiers are a splendid idea and I envision
> many good uses for them.

then “Revise the proposal to use modifiers-based syntax and then
accept” is plausible. So I’ll vote

* [x] Accept the proposal with pragma-based syntax, then deprecate it and switch to modifiers-based syntax
* [ ] Accept the proposal with pragma-based syntax, do not switch to modifiers-based syntax
* [x] Revise the proposal to use modifiers-based syntax and then accept
* [ ] Reject the proposal regardless of syntax

  mail at joachim-breitner.de