[ghc-steering-committee] Proposal #270: Support pun-free code. Recommendation: accept

Chris Dornan chris at chrisdornan.com
Fri Sep 2 23:30:29 UTC 2022

To be clear, if we could go back 35 years and explain to the first Haskell language committee the value of outlawing puns I would be in favour of doing this. If we were in a situation where the community were aware of the problems and there was a broad consensus on the desirability of moving away from puns and on the chosen path then I would be in favour of setting our policy and providing the tools to help that evolution — like the ones described by this very proposal.

But we are not in this situation. Normally GHC is in a strong position to lead Haskell in new directions — we are careful to propose non-disruptive evolution that folks can opt into and trial. In this way the community can try things out and build a consensus on what is useful or not. This is why I am an enthusiastic proponent of our language extensions and this very proposal process. In my view it is the engine that has not just driven Haskell but arguably wider evolution of practical programming languages. The problem is that what we are proposing to do here is extremely disruptive, made significantly worse by the increased dependence of modern Haskell on newtypes. I can readily accept that everyone involved in this list has long viewed puns as an unfortunate Haskell mistake, bad style and long given up the practice of using them, if they ever did. But this represents a very particular subset of the Haskell community with a distinct set of concerns to the wider community. Many of those are serious users of Haskell in their work and others (with strong overlap) with immense commitment to developing and maintaining packages that are the life blood of the ecosystem (GHC being the heart in this metaphor).

Believe me, these are serious Haskellers. And they do not appreciate being contemptuously treated like pawns by various Haskell technical committees that unilaterally decide the future of Haskell and impose it on them after the fact, especially where significant disruption is involved. Handled wrongly it would be really easy to see significant pushback developing in the community along the lines we saw with the PVP, and before we know it we will find ourselves in another decade of a debilitating tech culture war.

(This is all expressed in stark terms, but I am following the precautionary principle — I do believe the risks to be significant but this kind of thing is difficult to predict.)

If I could be sure that we were living in Richard’s world I would be entirely happy to follow the plan he is advocating. My concern is simply that without extreme care its subtly will be quickly lost and we will see polarisation. This is not a technical problem so much as a social one that can only be safely navigated with skilful communication.

I would advocate that we advertise that we would like Haskell to evolve away from the puns of this proposal and make it clear that we accept that that is not where Haskell is and request feedback and help on how we can start building a roadmap to pun-free Haskell — assuming we can build the wider consensus that this is desirable (which hopefully we can, but we should try to avoid being presumptuous).

Until we can establish consensus on how this is going to all be communicated I remain in favour of keeping this proposal in stasis.

I would like to think I am merely unpacking Simon’s position...

Chris