[ghc-steering-committee] GHC Steering Committee Status

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sun Nov 27 11:10:23 UTC 2022

Dear Committee,

let’s do another ~bi~trimonthly status update. There was an uptick in
submissions recently, and our backlog is on the large side; it looks
like almost everyone

So what has happened since the last one?

 * Baldur has stepped down, Arnaud has renewed their term and Adam Gundy joined.
   Thanks all!

 * I started a discussion on whether we should have GHC2021. I sense some hesitation,
   but not enough yet to discourage me, so I stated to draft a proposal at
   https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/559
   and you are all invited to nominate those extensions you’d like to be on by
   default in the future.

 * we were asked to review these proposals:

   #532: Clean up implicit binding, Shepherd: Arnaud
   #512: NoFieldSelectors as datatype annotation, Shepherd: Vlad
   #526: Applicative Comprehensions, Shepherd: Simon M
   #540: parallelism semaphores, Shepherd: Eric
   #547: Remove kind constraints, Shepherd: Arnaud
   #529: Template Haskell quotes as patterns, Shepherd: Adam
   #451: WARNING pragma with category, Shepherd: Joachim
   #546: Make Symbol a newtype over String, Shepherd: Chris
   #556: fix signature scoping #448, Shepherd: Richard

 * we have a recommendation from the shepherd about:

   #522: Or patterns. Recommendation: accept
   #516: Introduce `-Wincomplete-record-selectors`, Rec: accept
   #270: Support pun-free code. Rec: accept
   #500: Add implicit import proposal, rec: reject
   #547: Remove kind constraints, Recommendation: accept
   #451: WARNING pragma with category, rec: accept

 * we have sent the following proposals back to revision

   (none)

 * we decided about the following proposals

   #517: Require implementors before proposal submission (reject)
   #516: Introduce `-Wincomplete-record-selectors (accept)
   #547: Remove kind constraints, Recommendation: accept
   #500: Add implicit import proposal (reject)

We currently have to act on the following 12 proposals, double
the number as last time!

## Waiting for committee decision

#270: Support pun-free code, Shepherd: Chris
      2022-01-01: Assigned to Chris
      2022-08-24: Chris suggests acceptance
      2022-09-08: Last message
      Chris, can you conclude this discussion?

#515 Relaxing HasField constraints
      2022-08-01: Assigned to Tom
      2022-08-10: Tom suggests acceptance
      Still no comments. Tom, please drive this discussion!

#522: Or Patterns
      2022-08-08: Assigned to Richard
      2022-08-19: Richard recommends acceptance
      2022-10-18: Last message
      Richard, is this discussion converging?

#451: WARNING pragma with category, Shepherd: Joachim
      Acceptance seems imminent

## Waiting for shepherd recommendation

#330: Decorate exceptions with backtrace information, Shepherd: Vlad
      2022-06-25: Assignd to Vlad
      This seems to have fallen through the cracks.
      Vlad, please make a recommendation!

#512: NoFieldSelectors as datatype annotation, Shepherd: Vlad
      2022-09-03: Assignd to Baldur
      2022-10-02: Reassignd to Vlad

#526: Applicative Comprehensions, Shepherd: Simon M
      2022-10-08: Assigned to Simon M

#529: Template Haskell quotes as patterns, Shepherd: Adam
      2022-11-16: Assigned to Adam

#532: Clean up implicit binding, Shepherd: Arnaud
      2022-08-23: Assigned to Arnaud
      Sent back for revision
      2022-11-27: Resubmitted

#540: parallelism semaphores, Shepherd: Eric
      2022-11-08: Assigned to Adam
      2022-11-17: Re-assigned to Eric

#546: Make Symbol a newtype over String, Shepherd: Chris
      2022-11-18: Assigned to Chris

#556: fix signature scoping #448, Shepherd: Richard
      2022-11-27: Assigned to Richard

  mail at joachim-breitner.de