[ghc-steering-committee] Please review #540: parallelism semaphores, Shepherd: Adam

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Wed Nov 9 21:33:35 UTC 2022

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, dem 09.11.2022 um 21:04 +0000 schrieb Adam Gundry:
> I'm not sure if we have explicit guidelines regarding conflicts of
> interest (should we?), but I think I should declare a conflict in this
> case. The authors of this proposal work for Well-Typed and have proposed
> and implemented this feature on behalf of a client, which might give the
> impression of potential bias.
>
> I am happy to take the advice of the committee on how to handle this
> situation. While I don't think I need to recuse myself from discussion
> of the proposal completely, it seems like it would be better for it to
> be shepherded by someone else?

we tend to have multiple well-tyists or tweagers on the committee, and
so far we mostly worked under the assumption that committee members
manage to do their committee work unencumbered by their jobs. So unless
you, say, personally tasked someone with writing that proposal, or
genuinely (and not just formally) _feel_ conflicted, I’d say don’t
worry. We are all just trying to make GHC better, not govern a country
or something like that :)

That’s my take at least.

  mail at joachim-breitner.de