[ghc-steering-committee] Please review #500: Add implicit import proposal, New Shepherd: Simon M.

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Mon Aug 29 15:19:48 UTC 2022

Hi Simon,

thanks for picking this up.

I am similarly torn.

Everytime I have to add and then remove Debug.Trace from my import list
I am annoyed. And especially for quick scripts etc. having less red
tape to go through seems to be an improvement. So I see the benefit. If
I’d be creating a programming language afresh, I might be inclined to
allow that – a qualified identifier is already quite explicit, after
all!
(I admit that I still don’t use the latest tooling available, maybe
someone using LSP for all their Haskell uses might have a different.)

On the other hand, this is not a fresh programming language, we have
lived okish without this so far, and in particular the behavior with
regard to instances might be sufficient reasons to reject this –
although not without some regret.

  mail at joachim-breitner.de