[ghc-steering-committee] Please review #500: Add implicit import proposal, New Shepherd: Simon M.

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 14:40:11 UTC 2022

Apologies for the delay here, holidays and then a large backlog...

As a reminder, this proposal would let you use qualified names like
Data.Trace.trace
without adding an explicit import.

I've reviewed the whole comment section of the proposal, but I'm finding it
difficult to arrive at a clear recommendation. Some points:

   - There's a certain amount of convenience enabled by the extension, for
   sure. And other languages (OCaml, Rust) have a similar feature.

But

   - There are compile-time performance implications that are as-yet
   unmeasured. I've asked for more data on this in the github thread.
   - A strong argument against (in my opinion) is that tooling could do
   this automatically, rendering this extension redundant. HLS doesn't
   currently insert imports for qualified names automatically, but couldn't
   it? Other language servers do this kind of thing (e.g. Python)
   - The behaviour with respect to instances is a little too implicit.
   Removing a qualified identifier might eliminate an implicit import and thus
   hide some instances, causing the compiler to reject the module.

I'm personally leaning towards rejection, but I don't feel strongly enough
to actually recommend that. What do others think?

Cheers
Simon