[ghc-steering-committee] Please review #517: Require implementors before proposal submission, Shepherd: Simon PJ

Eric Seidel eric at seidel.io
Wed Aug 24 11:58:22 UTC 2022

It is similar, but I think my framing puts the pebble in the right shoe.

Consider it from this perspective, when we accept a proposal we are *committing* GHC to accept a patch implementing it (assuming it passes code review etc). I think there’s also a general expectation that GHC *will* implement all accepted proposals in a timely manner. That’s why we’re having the present discussion.

The question is whose responsibility is it to ensure implementation? In principle it should be GHC’s responsibility, but GHC is largely a volunteer-driven project and it’s not fair to expect a bunch of unpaid labor from the GHC devs.

But the Haskell community at large has an interest in a fully-featured GHC. And the Haskell Foundation represents these interests and has funding to realize them. So what I’m suggesting is that we could partner with the Foundation to establish a bounty or grant program to implement proposals that do not already have a committed implementer.

Sent from my iPhone