[ghc-steering-committee] Proposal #270: Support pun-free code. Recommendation: accept

Chris Dornan chris at chrisdornan.com
Wed Aug 24 11:46:03 UTC 2022

I don’t think we should be in the business of overturning by fiat significant conventions that have been long established.

I am really quite concerned about people pointing to proposals accepted by a technical committee and expanding this into wide-ranging normative conventions to be imposed on the general Haskell community after the fact.

Accordingly I am flipping my recommendation. I now agree with Simon. Until we are satisfied that the wider consensus has been established — that these puns are no longer good style — I think we should *not* accept this proposal. The risks are too great and, as Simon points out, the potential benefits are not compelling.

Chris