[ghc-steering-committee] Please review #516: Introduce `-Wincomplete-record-selectors`, Shepherd: Eric

Eric Seidel eric at seidel.io
Tue Aug 23 18:13:57 UTC 2022

Dear Committee,

Adam Gundry has proposed a new warning -Wincomplete-record-selectors[1] that would flag occurrences of partial record selectors, e.g. the field `x` in

```
data T = T1 { x :: Int, y :: Bool }
       | T2 { y :: Bool }
```

The proposal is well-specified, will never warn about total selectors (e.g. `y` above), and allows for a smarter compiler to suppress warnings in cases where a partial selector is used in a total context (e.g. `x (T1 42 True)`).

I recommend acceptance.

[1]: https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/516