[ghc-steering-committee] GHC Steering Committee Status

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Fri Aug 19 09:15:40 UTC 2022

Dear Committee,

let’s do another bimonthly status update . It seems that the last two
months were quite quiet on the mailing list, but we did get a bunch of
new submissions. Time to get active again!

So what has happened since the last one?

 * PSA: You make my life when preparing these reports easier if every
   state change comes with a (small) email to the list. In particular
   sending a proposal back for revision is often not noted on the list.

 * we were asked to review these proposals:

   #511 Deep Subsumption, Shephard: Arnaud
   #330 Decorate exceptions with backtrace information, Shepherd: Vladislav
   #518 Type vs Constraint proposal, Shepherd: Eric
   #515 Relaxing HasField constraints, Shepherd: Tom
   #517 Require implementors before proposal submission, Shepherd: Simon PJ
   #522 Or Patterns, Shepherd: Richard
   #516 Introduce `-Wincomplete-record-selectors`, Shepherd: Eric

 * I reassigned the following proposal

   #500: Add implicit import proposal, New Shepherd: Simon M.

 * we have a recommendation from the shepherd about:

   #518 Type vs Constraint proposal (accept)
   #517 Require implementors before proposal submission (accept)
   #515 Relaxing HasField constraints (accept)
   #511 Deep Subsumption (accept)

 * we have sent the following proposals back to revision

   #330 Decorate exceptions with backtrace information
   #473: First-class existential types
   #454: Custom type warnings

 * we decided about the following proposals

   #448 Modern Scoped Type Variables (accept)
   #518 Type vs Constraint proposal (accept)
        (merge still pending a ✓ from Richard)
   #496 Nothing {} (acccept)
   #511 Deep Subsumption (accept)

We currently have to act on the following 6 proposals, same number as last time.

## Waiting for committee decision

#515 Relaxing HasField constraints
      2022-08-01: Assigned to Tom
      2022-08-10: Tom suggests acceptance
      No comments so far. Please voice your opinions!

#517: Require implementors before proposal submission, Shepherd Simon
      2022-08-01: Assigned to Simon
      2022-08-05: Simon suggests acceptance
      Only supporting comments so far.

## Waiting for Shepherd action

#270: Support pun-free code, Shepherd: Chris
      2022-01-01: Assigned to Chris
      Chris, kindly please leap into action!

#500: Add implicit import proposal, Shepherd: Baldur
      2022-05-05: Assignd to Baldur
      2022-08-01: Re-assignd to Simon

#522: Or Patterns
      2022-08-08: Assigned to Richard

#516: Introduce `-Wincomplete-record-selectors`, Shepherd: Eric
      2022-08-14: Assigned to Eric

  mail at joachim-breitner.de