[ghc-steering-committee] GHC proposals

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Thu Jul 1 19:06:06 UTC 2021

Hi,

I understand the desire to have a constantly updated “dashboard”. But I
don’t think a spreadsheed will work. At least not if your expectation
is that we, collaboratively, keep it up to date. If we already fall
behind our actual review commitments, surely we’ll fall behind
additional red tape commitments. And then we’ll have a file that we
can’t rely on because we wouldn’t be confident that it actually
reflects reality.

And it’s not that I hates manual solutions. In fact, my semi-regular
“status” emails are fully manual! In a way you did more or less what I
do every time I create these: I did through my email and curate the
current status quo. This is tenable because it’s clear who does it (the
secretary, instead of everybody), and because it’s an email there is no
confusion as whether it is is up to date – is is up to date the moment
I write it, and makes no promises about later states.

So that’s a difference in frequency, form and ownership (at intervals
vs. continous; push email vs. pull URL; collectively vs. secretarial).
Your sheet also contains additional fields (Author, various dates) –
maybe I should include them in the status email.

I don’t want to stop us from trying out different procedures, though,
so if there is a general sentiment that a wiki-like process (everyone
collaboratively edits a common file) is worth exploring, we can do that
of course. But I miss the “yes please and I definitely will keep it up
to date” cries from our crowd :-)

Ultimately, the best would be a tool that uses the Github API to create
a dashboard (Note that  most information on your sheet is already
present in github, especially as all status changes are represented as
label changes), maybe even with automatic nudging on github or email…

The next best thing is someone (but someone, not somemany) doing that
manually; maintaining a dashboard like yours, plus nudging. But who
wants to do manually what can be done (mostly) automated…

Am Montag, dem 28.06.2021 um 09:56 +0000 schrieb Simon Peyton Jones via
ghc-steering-committee: