[ghc-steering-committee] #380 GHC2021: merged!

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Mon Jan 18 16:15:32 UTC 2021

Am Montag, den 18.01.2021, 15:48 +0000 schrieb Simon Peyton Jones via
ghc-steering-committee:
> Otherwise OK.

In time to celebrate SPJs's birthday, we have come to a conclusion what
“GHC2021” should be. Thanks everybody!

We added 36 extensions to Haskell2010 and removed 2. The full list is
on
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/blob/master/proposals/0380-ghc2021.rst

We stayed slightly conservative, so I assume most of us have a few
extensions in the back of their head that they hope will get in the
next round (I do certainly do!). Don’t worry, you’ll get the chance!

I suggest that in the fall we come back to this point and see if we
_want_ to make GHC2022 the next one or if we want to wait longer. That
is then also a good time to revise the process, which went mostly fine,
could certainly have gone worse, but can definitely improved. (For
example, the voting can maybe be simplified somehow. And with all the
low-hanging fruit plucked, maybe we should not vote on all extensions,
but only on those nominated by a member… well, more on that in a year
:-)).

It will be interesting to see if GHC2021 will be adopted, how quickly
it will be adopted (libraries that care about backward compat will
probably be slow to adopt it), and whether it can change our perception
of Haskell.

With 9.0 already in the RC stage, I assume we will have missed that.
It’ll be up to the GHC devs to decide if adding this in a point release
is ok (and so can use this in 9.0.1), or if we’ll wait for 9.2.

Cheers, and a good GHC2021 to all of you.

  mail at joachim-breitner.de