[ghc-steering-committee] GHC 2020

Eric Seidel eric at seidel.io
Tue Sep 8 12:01:04 UTC 2020

I think we may want to have the Committee initiate and drive the process. I think a GHC20XX proposal will turn into a bunch of micro proposals and discussions about individual (groups of) extensions, and it will be hard to track all of the threads of discussion in a single GitHub thread. We’ve dealt with long and contentious discussions before, but they were much more focused than GHC20XX will be, by design.

I suggested earlier that an alternative strategy could be to open a new repo where the community can collaborate on GHC20XX via a familiar PR-based process, with each proposed group of extensions getting its own PR and discussion. There are a few open questions here though. When/how do we decide that it’s time for a new standard? How do we decide when the full proposal is ready for review? Do we need to review and sign off on each group of extensions separately or only the final product?

This process would be a lot more work for us, so I’m happy to try the usual process first, and I’ll be happy to be proved wrong. But we should be prepared to step in and add some more structure if needed.

Regardless, the first step should be to update our docs to express interest in GHC20XX proposals, establish criteria for including language extensions, and outline a process for submitting them.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone