[ghc-steering-committee] GHC 2020

Richard Eisenberg rae at richarde.dev
Mon Oct 19 14:07:01 UTC 2020

Thanks for pushing this conversation along!

* Though I know I may live to regret it, I think this is a good thing for GHC and for Haskell. My sense (not backed by any real research, of course) is that the community equates (perhaps subconsciously) "this file needs a lot of extensions" with "the code in this file is complicated" -- and thus can conclude that Haskell is a complicated language. This effort helps to reduce this source of negative feelings.

* I prefer not doing this yearly. My vote would be for every 3 years -- but I still prefer doing it yearly over never.

* Polling and data would be fantastic. We can scrape Hackage now, but polling is a function we struggle with.

* I'd like to propose a middle ground between Alejandro's and Joachim's meta-proposals -- mostly because I want more community involvement and ownership than I think Joachim's proposal would allow (my proposal points begin with +; an initial * denotes that we're back to points in this email):

+ Use Alejandro's criteria. (This wasn't stated in Joachim's proposal, but I assume it's true there, too.)

+ From Alejandro: Create a new repo ghc-proposals/ghc-language.

+ From Joachim's proposal: 4 months before the expected GHC spring release day of 202x:
  The Secretary starts the GHC202x process. with an email to the list
  listing all language extensions supported by GHC that are not in
  GHC202(x-1), and asking the committee for “votes” (which are also
  nominations).

+ Within two weeks of the start of the process, every committee member is expected to send an initial list of which extensions they expect to be added to GHC20xx to the mailing list. There would *not* be justifications or motivations, just a list.

+ After these two weeks, the Secretary creates a new branch in the ghc-proposals/ghc-language repo, adding a new top-level file named ghc20xx.md (where xx has been instantiated appropriately). This file would contain a list of all the extensions receiving at least 2/3 (rounded up) of the responding members of the committee. (Footnote: I would love to say 2/3 of the committee membership, but history shows that not every committee member will speak up.)

+ The Secretary would then create a PR in ghc-proposals/ghc-language to merge the branch. This PR would state loudly not to comment on individual extensions in the PR.

+ Members of the community would then have 4 weeks to open Issues in the ghc-language repo to discuss individual extensions. Issue titles are required to include the extension name. When conversation reaches general consensus, the Issue would be closed, but memorialized in the ghc20xx.md file with a link to the discussion. If the discussion suggests that an extension *not* be included, that is still memorialized in the file, in a separate section of proposed-but-rejected extensions. (In this paragraph, "general consensus" does not mean unanimity, but a clear preponderance of opinion in one direction.)

+ After four weeks, any extensions still under broad debate would be rejected for inclusion as controversial. The Secretary would move these to the "rejected" section of the .md file with a link to the debate. Debates are encouraged to continue, with the expectation that the resolution of the debate would inform the next GHC20xx process.

+ The Secretary then merges the branch into the ghc-language repo, and the new language is implemented.

+ After another 2 months, any remaining open Issues in the repo are closed, for cleanliness.

* This counter-counter-proposal is meant to combine what I see are the best qualities of both proposals: the structure in Alejandro's (Joachim's suggests just debating about extensions over email, which causes me to shudder in horror, even if the discussion is just among committee members), with the committee-seeding from Joachim's.

* Meta-meta-proposal: Instead of creating competing PRs between these meta-proposals, I propose creating one PR with multiple proposals contained within one file. We can put this in a branch in the main repo (as opposed to the usual habit of putting PRs in a branch on a fork). We'll all edit the meta-proposal as need-be, with the expectation that we friends do not clobber each other's work. Seems simpler than having the conversation spread among multiple PRs.

Richard