[ghc-steering-committee] GHC 2020

Alejandro Serrano Mena trupill at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 19:26:30 UTC 2020

I would really like this effort not to die, so I've given the proposal
another push. Following the comments from Simon and Joachim, I've re-framed
the proposal as laying down a process to create new "language versions"
yearly. The idea is to have one of these every year (or 2, or 3, whatever
is decided), coinciding with the spring release of GHC.
https://github.com/serras/ghc-proposals/blob/ghc-2020/proposals/0000-ghc-2020.md

I think it's important for the community to be involved in the process. If
it's clear that an extension is loved by most of the community, that's a
big plus for acceptance. In addition, if we come with a list ourselves, we
risk having made choices which only show our (biased) point of view.

Since in the first round the possible list of extensions may be quite big,
we might introduce a "fast-lane process" for this one time, for extensions
like EmptyDataDecls or different number formats which seem to have
unanimous support.

Looking forward to hearing from all of you,
Alejandro