[ghc-steering-committee] Status

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sun May 3 11:48:02 UTC 2020

Dear Committee,

I have maintained proper social distancing from writing status
mails, wisely preemptively since mid-December, but with the infection
numbers going down this is no longer justifiable. Most of the time has
been spent on debating and discussing the Record syntax proposal, which
we eventually resolved by voting for a somewhat conservative choice.

Given that I’ll try to summarize 4½ months, there might be holes. So
anyways, what has happened?

 * Alejandro Serrano Mena, Cale Gibbard and Tom Harding have joined
   up. Welcome!

 * we were asked to review these proposals:
   #303: Constraint based arrow notation, Shepherd: Chis Allen
   #287: Simplify subsumption, Shepherd: Arnaud   #302: Layout and Guards in Lambda Expressions, Shepherd: Cale
   #314: -Wnoncanonical-mumble-instances, Shepherd: Tom Harding
   #319: NoFallibleDo proposal, Shepherd: Eric Seidel
   #320: clsdfltassoctypinst in bckpck&.hs-boot, Shepherd: Richard Eisenberg
   #270: Extend Term-Level Lookup Rules, Shepherd: Iavor (resubmission)
   #285: -XNoImplicitForAll, Shephard Simon M (resubmission)

 * we have a recommendation from the shepherd about:
   #282: RecordDotSyntax language extension proposal (rec: accept by vote)
   #287: Simplify subsumption (rec: accept)
   #216: Qualified Do (rec: accept one of the variants)
   #314: -Wnoncanonical-mumble-instances (rec: accept)
   #285: -XNoImplicitForAll (rec: accept)

 * we have sent the following proposals back to revision
   #216: QualifiedDo, but it’s already back

 * we decided about the following proposals
   #301: Rename PtrRep to BoxedRep (accept)
   #282: RecordDotSyntax language extension proposal (accept by vote)
   #287: Simplify subsumption (accept)
   #111: Linear Types (final acceptance)
   #314: -Wnoncanonical-mumble-instances (accept)

We currently have to act on the following 7 proposals, up by 5!

## Waiting for committee decision

#216: Qualified Do, Shepherd: Joachim
      Strong backing for one variant, but no consensus yet. Let’s keep
      talking (or vote!)

## Waiting for Shepherd action

#285: -XNoImplicitForAll (rec: accept)
      acceptance imminent
#302: Layout and Guards in Lambda Expressions, Shepherd: Cale
#303: Constraint based arrow notation, Shepherd: Chis Allen
#319: NoFallibleDo proposal, Shepherd: Eric Seidel
#320: clsdfltassoctypinst in bckpck&.hs-boot, Shepherd: Richard Eisenberg
#270: Extend Term-Level Lookup Rules, Shepherd: Iavor
      This is already a re-submission.

Cale and Chris, you have two rather old proposals on your plate. Please
be considerate of our contributor’s motivation and show some activity!

  mail at joachim-breitner.de
  http://www.joachim-breitner.de/

   #320: clsdfltassoctypinst in bckpck&.hs-boot, Shepherd: Richard Eisenberg