[ghc-steering-committee] Record dot syntax: vote results

Alejandro Serrano Mena trupill at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 19:27:40 UTC 2020

Since I voted C2a as first option, let me try to explain what lead me to my
vote.

Which is one main thing: for me the syntax "r .x", with a space in between
the element and the field name, looks completely alien and different from
what other languages do [1,2,3]. Even though we can implement that in a
clever way by making ".r" a special kind of operator, I think that for most
people the notion of "field access" is ingrained as a special part of the
syntax of a language.

Furthermore, several examples in C4 are very surprising to me. For example,
"f r .x" meaning "f (r.x)". Once again, I expect field access be part of
the same "joint expression" as in other languages.

As a final note, if we have ".b" for fields, what would stop us from making
".f" just special syntax for "post-application of any function"? I mean, we
could also have something as "numbers .sum" as meaning "sum numbers", in
the same way that "person .age" is equivalent to "age person". I am not
arguing at all that we should go that way, but rather that for many reason
I think that making "field access" less clever, and more similar to other
languages, is the right decision.

Alejandro

[1] C# Language Spec ->
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/csharp/language-reference/language-specification/expressions#member-access