[ghc-steering-committee] Record dot syntax: tally preview

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Wed Mar 25 09:35:09 UTC 2020

Hi,

if we had a simpler voting scheme, it would be obvious to everyone
where wer are standing. But I don’t expect that any of us can just
glance at the Google Sheet and see how things are standing.

But this obscurity is of course not intended!

So to give a preview (with Simon Marlow’s vote still missing, and of
course everyone still able to refine their votes) we currently have
this result:

C2a > C2b > C4 > C6 = C1 > C3 = C7 > C5

where C2a beats all other options by 6:4 or more.

In a way, C2a is one of the less bold moves. It is a typical property
of ranked voting schemes that they tend to elect more moderate options.

Fun fact: While we have a natural Condorcet winner (an option preferred
over any other option by a majority), we do not have a Condorcet loser:
_Every_ option is preferred over some other option by a majority,
because C5 beats C1, C1 beats C3, C3 beats C5.

(Now I wonder: did I confuse C2a and C2b in my vote last week? What was
my intention back then? Not sure any more… I guess I valued the concept
that you can take `x` and replace it with `(f x)` without affecting the
surrounding concepts.)

  mail at joachim-breitner.de