[ghc-steering-committee] committee constitution

Richard Eisenberg rae at richarde.dev
Mon Jul 13 11:58:26 UTC 2020

Resuming this thread now that the POPL deadline has passed.

> On Jun 24, 2020, at 3:12 PM, Iavor Diatchki <iavor.diatchki at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am not really keen on putting these labels on folks, so my preference would be to not bake this into the process.
>
> I am also not sure what problem we are solving though.

That's a good point. The immediate problem is that I worry that some accepted proposals have important ramifications for Haddock, and we have done a poor job at considering these ramifications. We could solve that problem directly, by (for example) adding a new required section to proposals. But I see this problem as a symptom of the lack of diverse representation on the steering committee. (Here, I am talking about diversity in terms of interests/areas of active engagement, not in terms of identity/background. Diversity in terms of identity/background is another important problem, and arguably more pernicious, but not one I am addressing in this thread.) Recalling that we started this steering committee with a goal of diverse representation, I thought we should perhaps return to that, in the hopes that the committee can better represent the community.

I admit that, beyond Haddock, I do not have a concrete example of actions we have taken in which we're not representing the community. So you might say that I have a solution in search of a problem, but I do think addressing this would be good for our committee (and for the language).

----------

To summarize where we are in this thread:

I asked:

> How should we ensure that various constituencies are well served by our process?
>
>  A. By having shepherds reach out to community members external to the committee who can share their expert opinion
>  B. By maintaining a list of constituencies that the committee membership covers (ideally)

I said B
Vitaly said A+B
Joachim said A
Iavor said neither