[ghc-steering-committee] #380 GHC2021: Structured summary

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Wed Dec 23 09:38:39 UTC 2020

Hi,

Am Montag, den 21.12.2020, 21:26 +0100 schrieb Joachim Breitner:
> Am Montag, den 21.12.2020, 19:50 +0000 schrieb Simon Peyton Jones via
> ghc-steering-committee:
> > As you know, I have found it extremely difficult to make sense of a table with more than 100 rows.  I think we need a global summary and I have prepared one here:
> > https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BMJtUQGk1HKOFgLnczybAwd1HgqbNpZA7elM4VnANa8/edit?usp=sharing
> >
> > Is it accurate?  I have not cross-checked against the vote table in the last week or two. You all have edit permission for this document.
>
> It’s accurate, but checking was was quite tedious, hard to automate,
> and hence. I guess I can keep it up to date as new votes come in, so
> that might be fine.
>
> Or I scrape the categorization of extensions from the docs (
> https://ghc.gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/doc/users_guide/exts.html nicely
> groups them by topic), and generate this view automatically from the
> data, as part of
> https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/blob/ghc2021/proposals/0000-ghc2021.rst#data

I gave this a shot. My scripts now parse GHC head’s `docs/` folder to
understand which topic an extension belongs to, using the same headers
that you see on
https://ghc.gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/doc/users_guide/exts.html

>From this I produce the output at
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/blob/ghc2021/proposals/0000-ghc2021.rst#executive-summary
which tries to mimick Simons manual Google doc.

Parsing this additional data also allowed me to link to the GHC HEAD’s
version of the documentation, which means less dead links and in some
cases much improved description.

Simon, is this sufficient that it can replace manually maintaining the
Google doc?

  mail at joachim-breitner.de