[ghc-steering-committee] A plea for ForeignFunctionInterface

Eric Seidel eric at seidel.io
Fri Dec 18 03:43:01 UTC 2020

In my experience, FFI is the kind of extension that you want to
isolate to a single module, and like Cale (or Iavor with the fancier
type system extensions) I like the indicator at the top of the file
that this module will be dealing with FFI concerns. In that sense,
FFI feels a lot like MagicHash to me, a very important and useful
extension, but one that you don't want (or at least don't *need*)
enabled everywhere. So it's interesting to me that while FFI has
8 votes now, MagicHash (and UnboxedTuples and UnboxedSums) only
has a single vote.

I don't see excluding FFI from GHC2021 as an argument that it should
be avoided or deprecated, just that it's not a part of the every day
Haskell toolkit. I think it deserves to continue to be part of the
Haskell standard, but is also niche enough to warrant selective
enablement where it's needed. In other words, I think it would be
perfectly fine if the Haskell standard mandated FFI as an extension
that could be enabled on demand (in fact this is how I thought it
worked when I first learned that FFI was included in Haskell2010).

That all said, there's clearly nothing wrong with enabling it
universally, it's been the default for a while and hasn't caused
any problems I'm aware of. So if Simon M and others feel strongly
about including FFI, I don't want to stand in the way. But I am
curious why we shouldn't include the other parts of the low-level
Haskell toolkit as well.

Eric