[ghc-steering-committee] A plea for ForeignFunctionInterface

Cale Gibbard cgibbard at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 17:47:11 UTC 2020

My impression of the GHC2021 thing was that it's an arbitrary
collection of extensions that would make for a sensible default,
rather than something that was in any way tied to a standardisation
process.

ForeignFunctionInterface is obviously not going anywhere, but also,
its use is generally confined to particular modules, where the {-#
Language ForeignFunctionInterface #-} pragma at the top would be good
documentation for what sort of module we're about to see. I was also
slightly concerned that switching that on may have an impact on
overall compiler performance, seeing as it may need to interact with
the driver in more ways than most extensions, but I don't really know
and haven't yet done any testing.

I also had no idea it was turned on by default in Haskell2010, though
I'm not sure it matters all that much what was turned on in
Haskell2010 for these purposes either?

That said, I could go either way on this one.

If we're going to turn FFI on, why not throw in all the other
extensions to FFI? Given that they introduce their own bits of syntax,
so could hardly affect anything by accident, I think it would be
appropriate.