[ghc-steering-committee] #380 GHC2021: Voting starts

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Mon Dec 14 21:41:38 UTC 2020

Hi,

thanks! I’ve updated
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/blob/ghc2021/proposals/0000-ghc2021.rst
and will send a status mail around shortly. Thinking about ways to
address SPJs wish for a different discussion form.

https://downloads.haskell.org/ghc/latest/docs/html/users_guide/glasgow_exts.html#extension-NumDecimals

> TransformListComp: no
> I've never seen anyone put this to use.

Me neither! Until, because of this GHC2021 process, I was reminded of
it, and, also because of this process, I had to do some data munging in
GHCi. And I admit they are very handy for “Give me the names of the 20
most contentious extensions we have voted it:”

*Main> mapM_ putStrLn [ ext | E{..} <- M.elems exts, votes >= 8, then sortOn by Down (fromIntegral survey_no / fromIntegral survey_yes), then take 5 ]
PostfixOperators
ConstrainedClassMethods
TypeSynonymInstances
ImportQualifiedPost
NamedWildCards

(Not arguing for their inclusion, this is just a nice anecodte.)

*Main> mapM_ putStrLn [ ext | E{..} <- M.elems exts, votes >= 8, then sortOn by Down (fromIntegral survey_no / fromIntegral survey_yes), then take 5 ]

<interactive>:15:80: warning: [-Wtype-defaults]
    • Defaulting the following constraints to type ‘Double’
        (Fractional a0)
          arising from a use of ‘/’ at <interactive>:15:80-127
        (Num a0)
          arising from a use of ‘fromIntegral’ at <interactive>:15:80-101
        (Ord a0) arising from a use of ‘sortOn’ at <interactive>:15:64-69
    • In the first argument of ‘Down’, namely
        ‘(fromIntegral survey_no / fromIntegral survey_yes)’
      In the expression:
        Down (fromIntegral survey_no / fromIntegral survey_yes)
      In a stmt of a list comprehension:

  mail at joachim-breitner.de