[ghc-steering-committee] A plea against "fancy types" in GHC2021

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 09:11:24 UTC 2020

I would like to push back here: this seems to be suggesting a fork-like
situation, where we have two kinds of Haskell (fancy and non-fancy). I do
feel quite strongly that we should be converging on a single language
rather than creating splits. Or perhaps the suggestion is that we don't
want these extensions on by default *yet*?

Responding to Iavor's point:

> I think these extensions convey useful information about the mindset you
should use when working with a specific code base, which is quite different
from working with ordinary Haskell.

I personally have been working with these extensions enabled for all my
code for a long time now. I'm by no means a heavy user of "fancy types", I
make occasional use of type families and GADTs to solve specific problems
when they arise. But I'm not even sure what this "different mindset" is - I
certainly don't feel like I have to think differently. Of course it's
entirely possible that I'm just an unsophisticated user and if I understood
how to think about the type system with these extensions my life would be
better!

The one exception that does trip me up is MonoLocalBinds, I often have to
supply a type signature when intuitively I didn't think I needed one.

Cheers
Simon