[ghc-steering-committee] #380 GHC2021: Current status

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 12:00:35 UTC 2020

On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 at 13:25, Eric Seidel <eric at seidel.io> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 4, 2020, at 07:41, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > The use case you are describing (larger enterprises) probably mean you
> > are using Cabal, which forces you to declare a default-language
> > anyways. So that makes it opt-in, and all is well, I hope.
>
> Do Bazel/Buck/etc reuse Cabal or do they reimplement the build themselves?
> I haven't used either (at Bloomberg we use cabal and stack, and good point
> about default-language, I forgot that was required), but my impression is
> that Bazel likes to reimplement everything so it can see precise
> dependencies, have granular caching, etc.

At FB we build everything with Buck. It doesn't use Cabal to build Haskell
code, but we do use a pre-defined set of extensions for all our Haskell
code, so we would be insulated from any changes to the default set of
extensions.

My guess is that GHC's "default language" mode is rarely used in practice,
despite it being the default. We can change it without much fallout.

Cheers