[ghc-steering-committee] a plea for PolyKinds

Richard Eisenberg rae at richarde.dev
Thu Dec 3 21:50:20 UTC 2020

The truth is that (Type :: Type) is true no matter what (though you'd need KindSignatures for GHC to accept that). The features that were previously -XTypeInType have been moved into -XPolyKinds (and a few in -XDataKinds), because there seemed to be very little reason to keep the two extensions separate. PolyKinds essentially allows two things: it allows users to write variables and other constructs (like `forall`) in kinds, and it allows GHC to do kind-generalization. But nothing about -XPolyKinds really changes the relationship between types and kinds.

Richard