[ghc-steering-committee] a plea for PolyKinds

Cale Gibbard cgibbard at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 20:19:40 UTC 2020

I agree with Richard as well on this point. The error messages GHC
reports can be practically incomprehensible and even misleading when
PolyKinds is accidentally turned off in a module that imports and
attempts to use poly-kinded things. I could probably drum up an
example if people want (I've run into this problem several times, but
don't have one immediately on hand.)

If it were just switched on by default, I'd feel a lot better about
the extension, because I wouldn't have to worry that consumers of any
poly-kinded things I wrote had to be aware of these stumbling blocks.
Of course, if GHC could get better at suggesting that users should
turn PolyKinds on in the cases where it's an issue, that would also be
great, but I'm not quite sure how to approach that either.

 - Cale