[ghc-steering-committee] #380 GHC2021: Voting tweaks?

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Thu Dec 3 17:46:00 UTC 2020

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 03.12.2020, 09:20 -0800 schrieb Iavor Diatchki:
> Joachim, would the voting system get a lot more complicated if we
> added a bit of ranked voting (e.g., instead of no,maybe,yes) we went
> (-2: strong reject, -1: reject, 0: don't care, 1: accept, 2: strong
> accept)?   At least in my votes, I have a few extensions that I
> certainly feel strong about, and for some of them I just picked
> something but I don't really care either way, and I don't think
> that's captured in the votes.  Let me know if that's OK, and I'll
> find some time to update my votes.

it would be doable, but the goal is not to do a tough campaigned vote
to squeeze in the last extension that we can somehow claim has an
arithmetic majority of some form.

If you have a -2 on FooBar, (and are maybe not the alone against 10 who
think it’s great), that alone should be sufficient to convince all of
us that FooBar is not “harmless, useful and uncontentious”.

That’s why I removed my vote for ViewPattern after I learned, from
mails from the Simons, that it’s more contentious than I thought.

> Also, I've been busy with work, so when there are a bunch of e-mails
> like today (which is fun!), it is hard to keep up with what people
> have said about the many threads going on.  If we adopt the haddock
> like commenting system, would it be possible to scrape the e-
> mails and auto generate a summary of what people have said for
> various things?  This could also help with a final document where we
> not only pick the extensions, but also have some provenance about
> what people thought about the various extensions.

Yes, I have been wondering the same. Overall, this “repeat your whole
vote by mail system” is working, but not greatly so, and we’ll probably
try something more ergonomic next time round.

Maybe I'll throw together some regexes over the weekend. The latest
votes are all at
https://github.com/nomeata/ghc-proposals-stats/tree/master/ext-stats/GHC2021
if someone else wants to do some scraping.

  mail at joachim-breitner.de