[ghc-steering-committee] Committee Review #314: Enable `-Wnoncanonical-monad-instances` and `-Wnoncanonical-monoid-instances` by default

Tom Harding tomjharding at live.co.uk
Tue Apr 14 13:39:52 UTC 2020

Hi all,

My feeling is that, having incorporated Richard’s suggestions around clarity of the error, we’re broadly happy with this.

This proposal was put forward two weeks ago, and it seems that those who have responded are in favour of it. It does raise questions around the current state of the “Monad of No Return” plan, but I think that’s an ongoing effort that currently calls for patience (as the majority of libraries adopt the proposed changes), and I maintain that this proposal would help that effort.

Does anyone have anything further that they’d like to add? Otherwise, if no one has any objection, perhaps this proposal can be accepted at the end of the week.

Thanks,
Tom