[ghc-steering-committee] Committee Review #314: Enable `-Wnoncanonical-monad-instances` and `-Wnoncanonical-monoid-instances` by default

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 15:29:37 UTC 2020

I think doing this only makes sense if the "Monad of no return" proposal is
accepted.   I know we have not discussed it here, so I imagine it is a
libraries proposal, but I all I can find is some discussion from 2015, and
not any kind of status page...   Looks like Cale is a on that committee as
well, so maybe he knows the status?

Having said that, I personally already write my instances in the "new"
style, so I am not opposed to enabling the warnings by default.

-Iavor

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 2:24 AM Alejandro Serrano Mena <trupill at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm also happy with the proposal as it stands.
>
> Alejandro
>
> El dom., 5 abr. 2020 a las 7:14, Vitaly Bragilevsky (<bravit111 at gmail.com>)
> escribió:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I support this proposal.
>>
>> Vitaly
>>
>> ср, 1 апр. 2020 г. в 01:50, Tom Harding <tomjharding at live.co.uk>:
>>
>>> Friends,
>>>
>>> This proposal seems very reasonable to me, and the ramifications are
>>> minimal. Consequently, I recommend that we accept.
>>>
>>> I’d now like to open the proposal up to committee discussion. My belief
>>> is that the issue be fairly uncontentious (particularly as prior behaviour
>>> can be fully restored by explicitly passing the relevant `-Wno-...` flags
>>> to the compiler), but I welcome any thoughts either way.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Tom