[ghc-steering-committee] GHC proposals

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Tue Jun 11 11:47:39 UTC 2019

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 11.06.2019, 09:05 +0000 schrieb Simon Peyton Jones:
> >  I wonder if we can still fix this. Nobody is really using the “accepted”
> >  number, so maybe it is fine?
>
> I don't have a strong opinion -- others may.
>
> But it would help, *on the home page*
> 	https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals
> to have clear lists:
>
> (A) List of all not-yet-accepted proposals, along with their status.
> (B) List of all accepted proposals, along with their status.

for (A) we have these links
 - ≡ List of proposals under discussion
 - ≡ List of proposals waiting for shepherd
 - ≡ List of proposals under review
 - ≡ List of dormant proposals
   (but we also eventually close proposals, so this is not precise)

All these lists point to the discussion for a proposal, not the
proposal itself.

There is no good way of showing the union of these proposals, as
GitHub’s label query language is not expressive enough (no union of
queries)

I can add a section to the homepage that collects all these links, if
they are not easy enough to find right now.

For (B) we (now, looks like I forgot to push a few weeks ago) point to
 - https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/tree/master/proposals
which is accurate, but not pretty and there are no labels.

If we start updating the top post of reach proposal to point to the
final thing, then using this for (B) would work:
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Apr+label%3AAccepted+
It again points to the discussion page, which is a bit odd for accepted
proposals, but if there is a clear link on top “accepted proposal”, and
maybe some explanation “This proposal has been accepted and can be
found at; this discussion is here for reference”, then that might be
fine?

This view would also clearly show the “Implemented” label, which we
have to maintain, of course.

It’s a bit more work, but I guess it is the right thing to do. Will do
it right away.

> (Status = labels, I guess.)
>
> For (B) the link you give
> https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pulls
> seems good, though additional guidance (along with the link) would be helpful.  For example:
>  * In this list, accepted proposals won't show up, because they should
>    be closed.

Yes, you need to disable the default filter, e.g.
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pulls?q=
or click on closed.

>  * You can filter by status by clicking on the "Labels" button.
>
> When I fitered by "dormant" I only saw three -- that was a lot fewer than I expected.

Again, because by default GitHub only shows open PRs. Eventually, we or
the authors close proposals.

  mail at joachim-breitner.de