[ghc-steering-committee] GHC proposals

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Tue Jun 11 08:09:19 UTC 2019

Hi Simon,

note that my cis.upenn.edu address will soon vanish with a puff; better
use mail at joachim-breitner.de.

Please allow me to respond on-list, I am sure you are not the only one
who is confused by this.

Yes, the relabeling was maybe the biggest mistake in our process:
Proposals first have a number as Pull Request, but when they are
accepted, they get a new, unrelated sequential number. We should have
just re-used the PR number and have non-sequential numbers for accepted
proposals.

I wonder if we can still fix this. Nobody is really using the
“accepted” number, so maybe it is fine?

> Would it be possible to have a single list of all the proposals, with
> their status?

The official list of all accepted proposals is
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/tree/master/proposals

And the list for PRs is
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pulls
where you can also filter by label, i.e. status (most links from the
start page go this, with various filters applied).

If someone is eager to do some hacking, one could aggregate all that in
a fancy overview page somewhere (else), but I am hesitant to create
such code, not because it has to be coded (that’s fun), but it has to
be maintained and kept running and understood by everyone.

> It would be v helpful if, for accepted proposals, the link pointed to
> the canonical, final version of the proposal, and gave its canonical
> final number.

You mean a link “Accepted proposal” at the top of the discussion
thread?
Yes, that would be useful; it’s just one more bit of tedious work.

  mail at joachim-breitner.de