[ghc-steering-committee] RecordDotSyntax: please express a view

Richard Eisenberg rae at richarde.dev
Tue Dec 10 15:25:09 UTC 2019

Thanks for your comments!

> On Dec 10, 2019, at 2:54 PM, Christopher Allen <cma at bitemyapp.com> wrote:
>
> This proposal should be rejected.
>
> The contention over what whitespace around the dot operator should
> make it clear that even expert Haskellers aren't sure what to expect
> from this proposal in an intuitive way.

Then there is an easy solution: just don't allow unparenthesized .foo -- that is, make it a parse error. I don't think there is any contention over what (.foo) should mean, and if plain .foo is a parse error, then there is no fork.

> You can achieve the same with
> libraries now.

True -- but at significant cost, both in the effort to learn the (complex) libraries and in the need for Template Haskell, which cannot be used in cross-compilation, for example. I think the warm reception of this proposal suggests that, despite the library-based solution, something more is wanted.

> That the existing extensions aren't as useful as they
> ought as compared with using a lens library is symptomatic of
> half-baked proposals being incorporated into GHC.

I'm curious which proposals you're thinking of here. The strangest one, I think, is DisambiguateRecordFields. That was added before the proposals process. I don't think it would have survived the current process -- at least, not in the form in which it has appeared. I would welcome exploring ways of removing it.

> We can wait until the juice is worth the squeeze and avoid an unforced
> error here.

This is tempting. But I worry that this may be the best we get, and I think inaction is hurting us.

Richard