[ghc-steering-committee] RecordDotSyntax: please express a view

Christopher Allen cma at bitemyapp.com
Tue Dec 10 14:54:31 UTC 2019

This proposal should be rejected.

The contention over what whitespace around the dot operator should
make it clear that even expert Haskellers aren't sure what to expect
from this proposal in an intuitive way. We should wait until there's a
more compelling benefit that would justify forking the syntax this
dramatically. The proposal feels over-determined by present trends in
lens libraries, but that's not something I have the energy to
prosecute very far. I could imagine a less contentious way forward is
possible but I think it's unlikely with the technical particulars at
hand. I don't believe the enhanced type inference brought by
RecordDotSyntax merits its inclusion given how it complicates the
syntax and compatibility story. You can achieve the same with
libraries now. That the existing extensions aren't as useful as they
ought as compared with using a lens library is symptomatic of
half-baked proposals being incorporated into GHC.

We can wait until the juice is worth the squeeze and avoid an unforced
error here.

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 4:58 PM Simon Peyton Jones via
ghc-steering-committee <ghc-steering-committee at haskell.org> wrote:

> Dear steering committee
>
> I'm the shepherd for the RecordDotSyntax proposal.
>   https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/282
>
> I recommend acceptance:
> https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/282#issuecomment-563477691
>
> Please reads the proposal, and as much of the discussion as you feel able, and respond in the next week or two to indicate your views.
>
> Remember: ask technical questions on the Github discussion thread, and use this mailing list for more evaluative discussion of judgement or opinion.
>
> I'd love every member of the committee to express a view.  This proposal has attracted a lot of interest.
>
> Thanks
>
> Simon

Chris Allen
Currently working on http://haskellbook.com