[ghc-steering-committee] Prioritizing proposals for processing? Viewing dates/deadlines?

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sun Feb 19 16:16:51 UTC 2017

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 19.02.2017, 10:26 -0500 schrieb Ryan Newton:
> Richard's original proposal is attached below.  SPJ later suggested
> "2 weeks"->"4 weeks" for the consideration period.  I think that
> corresponds to the "Pending Committee review" label.

Good, then the committee is doing its job, because it has no job to do
:-)

> But right now, no proposals have that label.  For example, how to
> judge the stage of PR number 36?:
> has the "Under discussion" label
> was posted Jan 15 (1 month old)
> has been commented on by some committee members
> doesn't have a corresponding email thread on "ghc-steering-committee"
> doesn't have a shepherd, which I think would appear as an "Assignee"
> on the PR/issue, right?
> For better or worse I live a very deadline driven life ;-).  So it
> would be nice to see which proposals have a decision deadline and act
> there first.

The author of the PR has to become active:
    “When you feel that your proposal is ready, … replace the Under
    discussion label with Pending committee review.”
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/blob/master/proposal-submission.rst

I don’t actually know if random people have the permission to do so,
though.

But the committee members are strongly encouraged to go through “Under
Discussion” proposals and see if they seem to have become somewhat
inactive, and ask the author there to either submit it (or, maybe,
simply withdraw and close the PR).

> As a small technical point, how do we record the DATE when the
> "Pending committee review"  label is assigned, which is what starts
> the clock ticking right?

You can see it in the history of the discussion; not very discoverable
though. We could use GitHub’s “Milestone” feature to set a date until
something should be handled. It requires a few extra clicks, but might
be worth it. Or someone writes a little script that extracts that data
and visualizes it.

Maybe we need to communicate better that we expect PR authors to bring
their PRs forward.

Greetings,

Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
  mail at joachim-breitner.dehttps://www.joachim-breitner.de/