[ghc-steering-committee] Prioritizing proposals for processing? Viewing dates/deadlines?

Ryan Newton rrnewton at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 15:26:08 UTC 2017

Dear steering committee,

How do we see what the deadline is for a given proposal discussion?

I know we've discussed process a fair bit, but I seem to quickly forget
these things if they're not super simple.  I can go here
<https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+sort%3Acreated-asc>,
and see proposals, oldest first.  (The PR numbers effectively date them as
well.)  The labels are super useful too (Under discussion).

Richard's original proposal is attached below.  SPJ later suggested "2
weeks"->"4 weeks" for the consideration period.  I think that corresponds
to the "Pending Committee review" label.  But right now, *no proposals have
that label*.  For example, how to judge the stage of PR number 36
<https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/36>?:

   - has the "Under discussion" label
   - was posted Jan 15 (1 month old)
   - has been commented on by some committee members
   - doesn't have a corresponding email thread on "ghc-steering-committee"
   - doesn't have a shepherd, which I *think *would appear as an "Assignee"
   on the PR/issue, right?

For better or worse I live a very deadline driven life ;-).  So it would be
nice to see which proposals have a decision deadline and act there first.

As a small technical point, how do we record the DATE when the "Pending
committee review"  label is assigned, which is what starts the clock
ticking right?

Thanks,
 -Ryan

P.S. It seems like the decisions about timing and process haven't filtered
through to the front-page / top level README
<https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals>.  Which says only:
*   "Proposals are ultimately evaluated by the GHC Steering Committee
<https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/blob/master/steering-committee.rst>
based
upon a number of criteria and in light of community feedback."*

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 8:56 AM, Richard Eisenberg <rae at cs.brynmawr.edu>