GHC release series adoption rates

Clinton Mead clintonmead at gmail.com
Wed May 22 05:22:40 UTC 2024

Hi All

The recent GHC blog post:
https://www.haskell.org/ghc/blog/20240521-ghc-release-priorities.html
states:

*"9.6.5 seems to be a relatively stable release so far and we plan to
prioritise fixes given the relatively higher adoption of this branch"*

I was wondering where this information came from? Is this based on a number
of downloads or some other metric? Number of companies that have adopted
the version? How many stack/ghcup pulls? Or just a vibe/what people seem to
be talking about?

If there are hard numbers, are they public?

The current project I'm working on is still on GHC 9.2.2, so I was
considering an upgrade to GHC 9.4.8, but this blog post has made me lean
towards the 9.6 series instead. This is just an upgrade for stability not
features and so we don't get too far behind. But it would be good to have
this popularity info generally instead of having to wait for a blog post.

Cheers,
Clinton