Deriving mechanisms in GHC

Yao Li liyao at pdx.edu
Tue Jul 2 23:08:44 UTC 2024

Dear All,

My name is Yao Li. I am an assistant professor at Portland State
University. I am currently working with my Ph.D. student Nicholas Coltharp
on updating a tool called hs-to-coq (https://github.com/plclub/hs-to-coq)
to support GHC 8.10 and the corresponding base library.

However, we are running into some trouble involving the "deriving"
mechanisms in GHC. It seems the derived type class instances are no longer
generated by hs-to-coq after we updated GHC. I wonder what changes happened
between GHC 8.4 and 8.10 that could possibly lead to this issue? Or if we
hope to dig into this issue ourselves, what are some GHC resources that we
should look into? Any pointers would be much appreciated!

For context, hs-to-coq uses GHC's parser to parse Haskell code. Our
translation is based on the source code but on the GhcRn pass.

Thanks,
Yao Li, Ph.D., (He/Him)
Assistant Professor,
Computer Science Department, Portland State University