Tier 1 architectures

Simon Peyton Jones simon.peytonjones at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 16:37:55 UTC 2022

Ben, Matthew, Moritz, and friends

Is this wiki page about architectures still accurate?
https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/wikis/platforms

For example, ARM is not Tier 1, or "apple silicon".

Yet I know some of our developers have invested lots of effort in other
architectures, so maybe those efforts are not reflected here.

Relevant is Moritz's post about 32-bit architectures
<https://discourse.haskell.org/t/running-project-built-on-raspberry-pi-with-cabal-gives-weird-errors/2429/6>
.

We should in due course add Javascript and Web Assembly as Tier 1 back ends?

Are we saying "if your customer bases uses Tier 2 architectures, you can't
rely on GHC from one release to the next"?  I wonder if there are companies
for which Tier-2 architectures are mission-critical.  Mis-aligned
expectations cause upset.

I mention all this because it is relevant to our stability guarantees.
Every time we release we should point to this list.