GHC code size

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Wed Jun 15 01:01:58 UTC 2022

Rodrigo Mesquita <r.mesquita at campus.fct.unl.pt> writes:

> The visualisation is very cool. I’m left wondering:
>
> - What triggered this “explosion” in 2012?

That is a good question. I'll admit, I'm not entirely sure as I myself
only really started contributing to GHC in 2012.

> - Do we have statistics on the number of contributors over time?

Yes, we usually report these during the "State of the compiler" talk
that is given during the Haskell Implementor's Workshop. I use this
script [1] to generate these. It's current output is:

  "1 year ago" 768 71
  "2 year ago" 695 73
  "3 year ago" 611 84
  "4 year ago" 532 79
  "5 year ago" 467 65
  "6 year ago" 403 64
  "7 year ago" 340 63
  "8 year ago" 272 68
  "9 year ago" 223 49
  "10 year ago" 199 24

Where:

 * the first column is the beginning of the measured period
 * the second is the total number of unique contributors in GHC at the
   end of that period
 * the third is the number of *new* contributors during that period

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://gitlab.haskell.org/bgamari/ghc-utils/-/blob/master/analytics/new-contribs.hs