GHC code size

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Tue Jun 14 18:14:43 UTC 2022

Bryan Richter via ghc-devs <ghc-devs at haskell.org> writes:

> A quick googling discovered
> https://githubnext.com/projects/repo-visualization, which has some of
> the desired features. :)

Another somewhat-related visualiation tool that can produce some pretty
pictures is gource [1]. I wouldn't call the output "useful" per se, but
it is mildly amusing to see the avatars frenetically flying about the
source tree. It gives you a sense of just how many people are
responsible for building the GHC that we know and love.

Here [2] is a rendering of ghc's history. Best to skip the first minute
or so, which is largely just Will Partain setting things up. Things
really start to pick up around 2012 (around the 6 minute mark); it's
truly dizzying. Happily, this momentum has persisted to this day.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://gource.io/
[2] http://home.smart-cactus.org/~ben/ghc/gource-2022-06-14.mkv