Strictness/demand info for a Name

Alejandro Serrano Mena trupill at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 14:19:34 UTC 2022

Dear all,

I’m trying to bring the information about demand and strictness to the
Haskell Language Server, but I cannot find a way to do so. I was wondering
whether you could help me :)

Here’s my understanding; please correct me if I’m wrong:

   - The analysis runs on Core, so getting this information for the current
   file would require to run the compiler further than type checking, which is
   quite expensive,
   - However, this analysis should somehow use known information about
   imported functions, which should be readily available somewhere,
   - If the above is true, what is the simplest way to get the information
   for imported things? As I mentioned above, I would prefer not to run the
   compiler further than the type checking phase, since otherwise it gets too
   expensive for IDE usage. Right now HLS uses the information from the .hie
   files.

In fact, this goes into the more general question of how to show
information from different analyses within the IDE; I guess solving the
case for strictness/analysis may open the door to more (maybe everything
recorded inside a `Id`?)

Regards,
Alejandro